Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sea what I See

Writing home about my Sunday escapade away from London and into England. Today, I invite you to meander with me down the southern coastline of the United Kingdom. It has for a while, (ever since the dawn of Pinterest ;) ) been a dream of mine to see the chalk white cliffs at Beachy Head. So we set out on Sunday morning, a two hour drive that thought me how to read maps and practice the art of patience - for you who've travelled with me, you know how I want to stop every two feet and take pictures. This is ILLEGAL in the UK. You can't stop at random so there were a lot of sights that I had no choice but to commit to memory rather than my memory card. :/

We travelled down Brighton via South Downs National Park into Sussex, to finally reach the Belle Tout Light house at Beachy Head. Once of the things I'm enjoying most about this trip, is being able to put faces to spaces and places that I've grown up hearing about. All the names you've read about in story books and text books, all the landscapes you've tried to copy from postcards and drawing books when you were growing up, suddenly touchable and feel-able. There's no feeling quite like it!

So yes, for those of you like me, who've read the term 'down' and recited poetry about it, here's what a 'down' looks like through my camera.



As you can see, the weather had finally perked up and the sun sat on our shoulders all day long. Resultant effect - bronzed skin and chapped lips (pictures of which you won't have the privilege to see ;) ) Digressing done, we finally got to Beachy Head at around 2 in the afternoon. For a sea junkie like me, it was everything I had dreamed of!


That light house that you see there? That's Beachy Head Lighthouse. The real view, I shall reveal in a bit! But before that, tidbit time - This happens to be UK's most frequently used suicide point!!!! At 531 feet high, it's the stairway to heaven and the highway to hell. However, it's said that the suicide point has a phone booth. If you're low and standing on the edge of reason, you can just pick up the phone before you take the plunge and hopefully, the clergyman on the other end will convince you to give God and Country another chance!


 We suppose an incident had just occurred around there that day because look who came to keep an eye on us - 


So what views did the place have to offer?






This is my favourite view of the Seven Sisters. The Seven Sisters are the seven chalky cliffs of the coast of Sussex. Named after the constellation. These cliffs are in a constant state of erosion. That's why the Belle Tout lighthouse featured below has been set on rails and can actually be moved backward as the cliffside erodes.

From here, we took a quick drive to Birling Gap for another set of pictures from the beach. But before that, i got to finally got my natural pedicure from the cold cold English Channel :)


Cliffs done, it was time to head back to the city and to watch Germany foot the balls of the Argentinean team. But before that, a little more nature gazing and sightseeing.... 








No comments:

Post a Comment